Sunday, February 28, 2010

Day 3: Riverside Church and the National Council of Churches

We worshipped at Riverside Church today and to be honest (I think by this point it's clear I'm not a politically correct blogger), the service fell short of my expectations.  I had always heard it was a dynamic congregation but the energy in that place was anything but dynamic.  Maybe it was the lenten season but the choir was classical and almost muted in volume and the sermon was about finding ways to get "nailed" in the city like Jesus and then moved into political action stuff (which was pretty cool).  I really got the Baptist and UCCC interplay.  The church is so big that all of the announcements felt like they were coming from across a football field.  The building was incredible though, just incredibly beautiful.  I had no idea how beautiful it was inside.  It reminded me of Notre Dame.

It made me think though--how is a place like this even sustainable?  The overhead must be huge, the place was not packed by any means, and I just couldn't see how it would attract a large constituency.  I know it has a vibrant past and history but there was a real lack of energy.

After that, we went to the National Council of Churches building and met with all of the other young adult delegates from different organizations such as the NCC, the World Christian Student Federation, and the Presbyterian Church.  I met Monika from Lebanon, Joe from Wales, Monica from Bangladesh, Facia from Liberia, and Ilea from a Native American sovereign nation in Nebraska (drats, can't remember her tribe name).  We're gathered under the organizing body of the Ecumenical Women,  and we spent the afternoon planning a dynamic worship service for tomorrow morning's chapel.  I participated in the artistic expression group and helped create a symbolic visual presentation of women in bondage overcoming barriers with audience interaction.

Interesting fact:  The Episcopalian Delegation is the biggest religious delegation at the UN.
Fact #2:  The Episcopalian Young Adult delegation is the biggest young adult delegation from any religious group.

Again, we were in that room all day long.  Dear Lord.  Everyone was a bit stir crazy, and we leapt out of there.

And from there?  Back to our hotel for another meeting over pizza, and then another meeting about scheduling, and then another meeting for worship and compline. Ending at 10pm.  Can you see how this is making me feel a bit crazy?  Literally, there is not a single moment for individual time unless you miss something.  I'm learning to skip out.  I ate dinner on my own down the street and it restored my sanity.

The thing I love about my delegation group is that they are hysterical, warm, strong, passionate, and walking in their gifts.  It feels like such a gift to be with women and men who are talented, articulate, and led by their Episcopalian spirituality in a freeing and affirming way.

We're doing a group blog here.  Check it out and get to know some of the other delegates.  They're amazing.

xoxo.  peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment