Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Cold Weather

I was most afraid of the cold before leaving for NYC.  Good thing it's easy to conquer.

1.  It gives me cheekbones.  My face does really well in cold weather.

2.  It makes me walk fast.

3.  It makes me feel alive.  Nothing like a little nip to give you a little kick.

Today I listed to adolescent girls talk about what the Commission on the Status of Women means to them and what they need as a girl and woman.  I also went to a session on education for women and learned about the role of narrative in healing from illness and giving a deeper political and social context for understanding what brings about illness in bodies.

The whole thing is amazing, overwhelming, and just awe-inspiring.  Yesterday I spent the whole day crying in every session because everything I have been learning here has been speaking to the core of my being.  I'm not alone though. My whole delegate seems to be crying at one time or another as we become aware of our privilege and enter into solidarity with women around the world over issues of violence and injustice on all levels.

Will write more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment